My wife watches it. Your girlfriend watches it. Your colleagues gossip about it at lunch hour. Even your kid sister fights the remote with you to watch it. It’s that scourge of local/cable TV known as “Hong Kong TV serials”.
How to Tell If Your Girlfriend is Watches Too Many Hong Kong Serialsâ€¦
- She changed her name from Jessica to some la-la name like Candy, Mimi or Flora.
- She can remember the exact dialogue of a particular scene of the TVB serial â€˜Healing Handsâ€™ shown on Astro 3 years ago featuring her favourite actor, but she canâ€™t remember your apartment number.
- She has Dynasty Package and Emperor Package on her Astro decoder. No sports channels, no news networks, no kiddie cartoons package, just the important Wah Lai Toi.
- Everytime youâ€™re sick, she INSISTS on making you birdâ€™s nest soup. And forces you to finish the whole Tupperware container. Even though her version tastes like crap and you swear it makes your fever worse.
- To her, everybody in the world can be divided into only 6 categories of people â€“ good people (like you and her), policemen, crooked gangsters, rich arrogant folks that look down on you, old folks that give out pearls of wisdom and colleagues who can bitch and gossip like thereâ€™s no tomorrow. There is no in between.
- Rain or shine, flood or mudslide, traffic jam or roadblock, she MUST be home on weekdays to catch the TV2 6pm serial. Unless she has already seen it on Astro or videotape (but sheâ€™ll still watch it again anyway).
- All the pop songs she knows are either theme songs from the serials or sang by the actors featured in the show. And theyâ€™re all soppy ballads that are sweeter than condensed milk in Coke. And no, she doesnâ€™t know any Hoobastank.
- Everytime one of those TV stars come to Malaysia, guess whoâ€™ll be right there at Sg.Wang Plaza to meet them with the posters and whistles and glowsticks, screaming their names at the top of their voices?
- Every time her sisters or girlfriends meet up from all over the country, guess what will they be talking about? (Iâ€™ll give you a hint. It ainâ€™t about the share marketâ€¦)
- Disturb her during the â€˜holy hourâ€™ (weekdays, 8.30pm to 9.30pm, Wah Lai Toi Astro Channel 30) and youâ€™re dead meat.
For Simon’s evergreen post on Hong Kong TV serials, click on the link…